How to Install Creatures 1 on Windows 10/11
(9 Apr 2022)
- Get yourself a copy of GOG's Albia Years.
- Use the installer to install Creatures 1 into your local user directory (not the default directory), for example:
C:\Users\[your user name]\Games\Creatures 1.
- Install the Creatures Remastered Patch.
- Install the Object Injector v2.
- Find C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\Creatures\Creatures 1\Launcher.exe, and open the file properties. Check "Run this program as an administrator." You'll need to give the game permission to run when you open it, but this fixes a lot of issues with the kits.
- While you're in the file properties for Launcher.exe, click "Change high DPI settings" and under High DPI scaling override, check the box and select "System (Enhanced)." This will scale the game correctly so things aren't teeny tiny on modern high resolution displays. (If this is greyed out, first push the button for "Change settings for all users.")
- That's it, you're good to go!
- Run the GOG uninstaller and allow it to delete all files:
C:\Users\[your user name]\Games\Creatures 1\unins000.exe
- Remove related registry keys: Open regedit.exe, search keys containing "creatures," and delete the ones similar to the ones below. Be SUPER careful here, you don't want to delete any system files by accident!
- Delete VirtualStore files: Under ~\AppData\Local\VirtualStore, look for any Creatures folders or .COB files. Delete those.